- Allows for breaks in treatment without wasting medication
- Family and caregivers are less exposed to aerosolized drug
- Higher percentage of aerosol likely to reach your lungs
- Efficient treatment times
- Available in either reusable or disposable formats
If you have questions about the prescribed medication inside the nebulizer, please talk to your healthcare provider.
The AEROECLIPSE* Breath Actuated Nebulizer is a significant advancement in small volume nebulizers because it only creates aerosol in response to inhalation, meaning medication is not wasted between breaths or if you need to take a break. This puts you in control of your aerosol treatment and creates a safer home environment.
With the AEROECLIPSE* nebulizer virtually no drug is lost to the environment. Less medication is wasted when compared to conventional methods of inhalation therapy because medication is only produced when you are inhaling, so you control the aerosol treatment. This provides environmental protection for you and your caregivers by significantly reducing the levels of secondary aerosolized drug that can be seen with uncontrolled continuous nebulization.
The green feedback button on the top of the device will move down when you inhale, providing visual confirmation that proper breathing technique is being used and aerosol is being produced. Although this is not difficult for most people, if you are unable to activate the button you may need to use the device in continuous mode for that treatment.
1b – Mode Switch
1c – White Cylinder
1d – Breath Actuated Mode
1e – Continuous Mode
2b – Stem
Taking your Nebulizer TreatmentFollowing these simple steps will help ensure you get the most out of your nebulizer treatment. Always be sure to wash your hands well before you start.
- Inspect your nebulizer and ensure the exhalation valve on the mouthpiece is pointing down.
- Place your compressor on a clean, flat surface or table top.
- Gently unscrew and removed the nebulizer top by rotating counterclockwise.
- Place prescribed medication in the nebulizer cup and reattach the nebulizer top, making sure to line up the white cylinder (1c) with the stem of the nebulizer cup (2b).
- Gently hand tighten clockwise.
- In a comfortably seated position, switch on your compressor.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth, ensuring your lips do not cover the Exhalation Valve (3a). If you are using a mask, place securely over nose and mouth, ensuring a good seal.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply, then exhale normally through the device.
- Continue taking slow, deep breaths until the noise created by the device changes – sometimes referred to as ‘sputter’.
- When your treatment is complete, switch off your compressor.
NOTE: During inhalation, the Green Feedback Button (1a) will move ‘down’, indicating aerosol is being produced. Between breaths or during exhalation, the Green Feedback Button will return to the ‘up’ position indicating no aerosol is being produced.
Please note: The AEROECLIPSE* BAN should not be shared with other people. The device should be replaced after their recommended replacement period or immediately if components are cracked or the nebulizer does not function properly. Please review complete product instructions prior to first use.
Aerosol is only created in response to the patient’s inspiratory maneuver.
- Patient inhales
- Negative pressure in the nebulizer pulls the diaphragm down
- The actuator has moved down sealing around the nozzle cover
- Aerosol is produced
Unlike continuous nebulizers, AEROECLIPSE* BAN ensures virtually no drug is lost to the environment. Less medication is wasted when compared to conventional methods of inhalation therapy because the patient’s inspiratory breath is controlling the aerosol treatment. This can provide for better compliance and a safer patient environment, and has the potential to impact clinical outcomes such as Length of Stay and Admission Rates through the ER.1
The AEROECLIPSE* BAN is designed to generate a high percentage of respirable medication particles. Shortened delivery time and optimized aerosol particle size significantly improves the likelihood of better patient outcomes and reduced costs.
- Ideal for acute, short term applications
- Single patient, disposable device designed for use up to 7 days
- Allows for dosimetric delivery of medication through a predictable delivery rate for each breathing cycle3
- Aerosol is only produced on inhalation – allowing for breaks in treatment without drug loss
- Reduces potentially harmful emissions by only producing aerosol when you need it – creating a safer home environment
- Cleaning, disinfection and sterilization instructions for up to 6 months of use
- Paired with custom Ombra* Compressors for a complete delivery system at home
A reference for patients who may be new to using a breath actuated nebulizer. The reverse has quick start instructions with a space to write medication dosages and the reason for prescribing which may aid in patient compliance.
We have developed this tool to help patient's understand how the AEROECLIPSE* II BAN works and how to use and care for the nebulizer.
- Custom designed specifically for use with the AEROECLIPSE* XL BAN
- Easy to use operation with efficient treatment times
- Available in either table top (mains) or portable versions
- Masks contour gently to the face providing a secure and comfortable fit
- Latex free, soft silicone elastomer to safeguard against facial irritation
- Anatomically for minimal dead space
The AEROECLIPSE* Breath Actuated Nebulizer (BAN) delivers the benefits of breath actuation and a superior aerosol, while continuing to deliver an effective respirable dose. Aerosol produced only during the inspiratory cycle resulting in less waste and greater dosing consistency as well as improved compliance.
- Minimizes medication waste between breaths or during breaks in treatment
- Minimizes amount of drug lost for a safer home or clinic environment
- Green feedback button encourages proper inhalation technique and confirms aerosol is being produced
- Patented diaphragm and grid system enhances actuation sensitivity with as little as 12 lpm of inspiratory effort to trigger the device
- Mode Selector allows convenient selection of either Breath Actuated or Continuous operational modes
- Potential to impact clinical outcomes such as Length of Stay and Admission Rates through the ER1
- Objective was two-fold: (1) determine if cumulative dose or concentration of methacholine is the determinant for airway hyperresponsiveness and (2) Validate a MCT using a modern, faster and environmentally safer delivery system (AeroEclipse* II BAN)
- n=33; convenience randomized, controlled crossover experiment with multiple protocols; participants aged 14.8 ±6.8 years (17 male/16 female)
- Two different tests were conducted using the AeroEclipse* II BAN – a 30-second and a 20-second protocol versus the 2-minute protocol with the English Wright nebulizer
- The 20-second protocol had the closest correlation to the 2-minute tidal breathing method with results that suggest that when using dose delivered (PD20), results are reproducible between the two nebulizer
- Data from both test protocols show that differences in nebulizer output and dose delivery mean that PC20 is an unreliable measure of bronchial hyper-reactivity
- Conclusion was that dose (PD20), not concentration (PC20), is the important determinant for bronchial responsiveness in MCT, a paradigm shift from current practice/guidelines
- Data suggests that alternate devices can be used providing users can accurately and precisely predict the dose deliveredAm J Respir Crit Care Med 185;2012:A2348
Respir Care. 2011;56(6):761-70
1 Christine J.H. Bong, MD, MPH, Maya Eady, MD, C. Michael Bowman, MD, M. Olivia Titus, MD. Breath Actuated Nebulizer Improves Quality of Care in Pediatric Emergency Department Asthma and Leads to System Wide Implementation. PAS Conference, Baltimore, Maryland 2009 2 TMI Aerosol Lab, Data on File. 3.0ml albuterol solution 0.83mg/ml, 8L/min, 50psi, tidal volume 600 mL, Rate 10bpm, 33% duty cycle as inhalation (breath actuation mode).