Develop world class medical device design solutions by applying deep domain expertise in industrial design, Interaction design and design research techniques and an awareness of user and patient needs.
Responsible for industrial design which includes the applied art and science through empathy to improve the functionality, aesthetics, usability, and ergonomics of medical devices.
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Work in cross-functional new product development teams to optimize medical device design solutions by applying deep domain expertise in industrial design, Interaction design and design research techniques.
- Ensure to proactively understand the unmet needs of customers and end users by participating in formal research activities across all phases of the product lifecycle.
- Present and defend the design directions intent and its ability to deliver Delight to the end customers and stakeholders [Both internally and externally]
- Ensure to apply TMI product development philosophy and values as well as the results of user research toward conceptualizing and generating intuitive and functional solutions for medical device hardware, interaction and human factors-based solutions.
- Create viable concepts and criteria using the findings from discovery and feasibility; explore viable technology and systems in collaboration with engineers; concept exploration through hand sketching and prototyping (low to high fidelity).
- Collaborate cross functionally to create and execute platform-level strategies that promote ease-of-use and consistency of design attributes across TMI products.
- Ensure to translate concepts and prototypes into formal design requirements and final design configuration documents including Colour, Material, Finish specifications and CAD geometry.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining the case study that is the program record, including research history and the final configuration, which defines the intent of the final design direction.
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN BEST PRACTICES AND RESEARCH
- Ensure to serve as a thought leader and internal resource for industrial design techniques to the assigned product family or segment.
- Develop and execute against an established set of design language principles that ensure an extraordinary sensitivity to product aesthetics, ease-of-use, and behaviour across the TMI product portfolio.
- Research modern advances of industrial design and procedures employed in an innovative environment
- Ensure to develop and implement various forms of design research, i.e., contextual inquiry, product benchmarking, usability testing; interact with patients, users, engineers and other resources to collect insights.
- Ensure to assist in collecting and analyzing consumer insights to help develop the product roadmap that delivers a best in class patient and user experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Design with concentration in Industrial Design, or closely related field of study.
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive as an industrial designer; preferably designing healthcare/medical devices, consumer products, or high technology sector products.
- Track record of delivering 2-D / 3-D conceptualization and CAD deliverables that strongly demonstrate both technical competency and strong creative direction of aesthetics and empathy.
- Portfolio demonstrating successful examples of conceptual designs, form and colour studies, prototypes, and final commercialized products.
SPECIALIZED SKILL OR KNOWLEDGE
- Proven ability and track record of developing design solutions that have high patient/customer delight
- Demonstrated ability to independently draw conclusions from technical /research information
- Expert in the use of visual design tools, 3-D CAD applications and various prototyping mediums and tools.
- Strong communications (written and verbal), negotiation, and problem-solving skills. Strong inquiry and listening and synthesizing skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently toward timely completion of a desired goal
- Excellent teamwork, coordination, and communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, manage competing priorities, and work within a structured process.
- Strong level of self-motivation and ability to work independently.
How to Apply
- Include a résumé and cover letter which includes the job title
- Use Microsoft Word .doc or .rtf formats
- Include the job title and your name in the title of both Word documents
- Include the job title in the Subject line of your email
Trudell Medical International
London, ON N5V 5G4
At the applicant's request, TMI will make accommodation to its recruitment process to meet the needs of applicants with disabilities.
Please send your résumé only once per position.
Résumés will be accepted throughout the process, but only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
TMI is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in joining our team.
Learn more about the mission and culture of Trudell Medical International.
Discover where Trudell Medical International has come from.
Learn more about the products that Trudell Medical International has to offer.